Did you know that even one or two pieces of chewing gum sweetened with xylitol could poison a dog?
Xylitol (pronounced zahy-li-tawl) is a sweetener that's used in gum, mints, baked goods and many other foods. In people, xylitol is digested into a sugar alcohol that doesn't affect insulin or blood glucose levels. Because of that, it has become very popular as a sugar substitute in all kinds of processed foods. Unfortunately, it isn't well known that this ingredient is very dangerous if ingested by a dog.