• westgate pet clinic french bulldog
  • spring slider images 4
  • sp slider images 3
  • sp slider images 2
 
 
Call Appointments Prescriptions Pickup RX Home Delivery Directions View Full Website

The Toxic Sago Palm

Westgate Pet Clinic patient Murphy is a cutie bulldog who is not only handsome, but also very lucky. He survived ingesting parts of a sago palm, a highly toxic plant, with no lasting effects.

 

Murphy—isn’t he handsome?

 

Sago palms are tropical plants, commonly grown outdoors in the southern United States. Sago palm toxicity used to be a concern limited to dogs and cats exposed to these plants outside in warmer climates. Since sago palms are now sold as large or small ornamental houseplants, online and at national home improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowe’s), IKEA, Costco, and even local garden centers in Minnesota, this tropical toxicity is now a concern for Minnesota pets as well.

 

Beautiful ornamental sago palm

Photo from website of company selling plant purchased at a local garden center as a gift to Dr. Karlin from her husband*]

 

Sago palms look like small palm trees, but they are not true palms and actually belong to the cycad family. All parts of the sago palm plant are toxic, but more of the sago palm toxin that affects dogs and cats is concentrated in the seeds or nuts. The toxin causes gastrointestinal irritation, as early as 15 minutes after ingestion of sago palm parts, followed by liver damage. Gastrointestinal signs include hypersalivation (drooling), abdominal pain, reduced appetite, vomiting and diarrhea. Signs of liver damage also include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and reduced appetite, as well as increased drinking and urination, dehydration, lethargy, weakness, jaundice (yellow cast to the skin, mucous membranes, and whites of the eyes), and ascites (fluid in the abdomen). Since the liver is responsible for clotting factors, pets with liver damage can also show signs of bleeding with bruising on their skin, bleeding gums, nosebleeds, a pink tinge to their urine, frank blood in their stools or vomitus, or digested blood in their stools which manifests as dark tarry stools. In more advanced stages, patients with liver disease can show neurologic signs within 2-3 day of sago palm ingestion, and may have depression, circling, unsteadiness, confusion, muscle tremors, seizures, and paralysis, with neurologic signs culminating in a coma or even death.  

 

There is neither a specific test nor a specific antidote for sago palm toxicity. Lab work, with elevated liver values, low protein, low blood glucose, anemia and evidence of reduced clotting, may not show changes for 24-48 hours after sago palm ingestion. If sago palm ingestion is suspected, it is important to take your cat or dog to a veterinary clinic as soon as possible, rather than waiting for clinical signs to develop.  Treatment for sago palm ingestion focuses on decontamination and supportive care and medications to reduce the effects of liver damage. Decontamination consists of trying to remove any remaining ingested material to reduce amount of toxin by inducing vomiting, gastric lavage (“pumping the stomach”), and even administration of enemas. Activated charcoal may also be also given to prevent further absorption of the toxin. Supportive care focuses on treating the symptoms with hospitalization on intravenous fluids, antibiotics, medications to stop vomiting, gastroprotectants, and antacids. Antioxidants are used to reduce the damage to the liver, and blood or plasma transfusions and Vitamin K may be needed to treat anemia and reduce bleeding. Neurologic signs are also treated symptomatically, with diazepam (Valium) used to stop seizures.

 

The prognosis for dogs or cats who ingest sago plant parts depends on the amount of toxin per pet’s body weight, and how quickly treatment is instituted. Smaller dog and cats are more severely affected as compared to larger dogs who ingest the same amount of plant parts. The sago palm toxins are concentrated in the nuts or seeds and just 1-2 seeds can be fatal to a medium-sized dog. Reports of survival rates from sago palm ingestion vary, with one study of dogs who ingested sago palm parts reporting a 50% mortality rate.

 

Since dogs and cats seem inexplicitly drawn to highly-toxic sago palms, it may best not to even bring this tropical plant into households with dogs and cats.

 

Back to handsome Murphy…his owners suspected he ate part of a sago palm house plant they had set outside to throw away. Murphy was taken to the emergency clinic. The clinic induced vomiting, which produced dirt and plant parts. Murphy was given activated charcoal to help prevent further absorption of the sago palm toxin and hospitalized on intravenous fluids. He also received two medications to protect his liver from damage and a medication to prevent him from vomiting due to gastrointestinal upset and spent 24 hours at the emergency clinic. Murphy’s liver values were checked at Westgate Pet Clinic around 36 hours and again three days after sago palm ingestion and were normal. Fortunately, there were no lasting effects of Murphy’s “taste of the tropics.”

 

Murphy, smiling on the day of one of his blood draws at Westgate Pet Clinic

 

*And, Dr. Karlin’s husband and the sago palm went back to the garden center where the sago palm was exchanged for a nontoxic ornamental palm plant.

Our Mission:

We provide the quality care our clients expect and their pets deserve, by relying on the expertise and
compassion of each team member.

 
 
 

Contact Us

Westgate Pet Clinic
4345 France Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55410
Directions to Our Clinic
(612)925-1121
(612)925-6297 Fax
(612)568-1405 Pharmacy

Find Us